Ashes 100-1 Countdown: 72 Days Until the Ashes…
In the latest installment of our Ashes 100-1 countdown feature we look at a cricketer that seems to divide opinion. He’s a cricketer who could just be England’s ace in the hole for the upcoming Ashes series. But whilst I love Graeme Swann, others hate his guts. Take Sid from Thoughts from the Dustbin who puts Swann at the very top of his Smack List of cricketers he’d love to punch with the following caption:
“Graeme Swann – isn’t this a face you’d like to whack with a banana?” – Sid
As a proud Englishmen I put myself in the other camp and in a big way. What’s not to love about Graeme Swann?
Here’s 10 Things to Love About Graeme Swann
1. He’s a good English-spinner- Contrary to popular belief, that isn’t an oxy-moron. They do exist. He’s living proof… and in March 2010, Swann became the first English off-spinner since Jim Laker to take 10 wickets in a match.
2. He’s the best spin bowler in the world – With Murali retiring and Warne long gone Swann has taken on the mantle of being the best spin bowler in the world. Over 100 wickets at an average of 26.55 and a strike rate of 54 is far superior than any bowler in world cricket today. That’s a strike rate on a par with the now legendary cricketer Stuart MacGill.
3. He has a funny knack of taking wickets in his first over – That makes him a game-changer in my book and we like game-changers at World Cricket Watch.
4. Graeme Swann spins the ball more than any other finger spinner in the game – The ECB research people have developed Trackman, a piece of kit which monitors a spinner’s revolutions on the ball revealing the stunning findings. And you can’t argue with technology.
5. His name is Graeme – Graeme or Graham is a great cricketing name. Whichever spelling think Gooch, Thorpe, Onions, Pollock and many more. It just works.
6. He bats aggressively – It’s great to see a batsman who is prepared to swing the bat and go over the top as Sylvester Stallone did. He’s in the Sehwag mould with a lot less talent but we can still admire the sentiment.
7. He loves animals – A great trait in anybody’s book. He risked life and limb to rescue his beloved cat, and if I was in the same boat I’d have done the same too.
8. He’s a Joker in the Pack – Contrary to popular belief Graeme Swann is not the “Marcus North” of the English dressing room. He’s a bit of a joker and great for team morale. Nice traits indeed.
9. He’s an esteemed member of the Cricketing Twitterati – Following Swanny on Twitter is a must for cricket fans. 67,000 people can’t be wrong.
10. He’s the future – No doubt Swanny was a late bloomer when it came to the international arena, but the man has longevity. A career in the media surely awaits this much loved figure. Look out Bumble.
This list could grow and grow…
Love or Hate Swanny? Let’s talk about it!
Where Next? Choose from the Latest World Cricket Stories…
Liked this post? You should subscribe to our email updates - why subscribe.