Harsha Bhogle Looks at the Rise of the India Cricket T20 Obsession as a Parallel Phenomenon to the Rise of Corporate India…
Harsha Bhogle tells this story of transformation with some remarkable topics covered:
Time and Space in Cricket
- From timeless tests to 20 overs
Multinationals in India
“There’s only two vehicles in India: the real one and the scripted one. The scripted one is what you see in the movies and the real one is cricket.”
India Hijacking an English Invention
- In 1983 India won the World Cup
“England invented T20 cricket and allowed India to hijack it.”
Money Talking in T20
- Suddenly a game which earned its players 50 rupees a day was transformed
- Centrally contracted Indian players who played in every single format could at best expect to earn $220,000 a year
- Now they were getting $500,000 for 6 days work
- Andrew Flintoff for once in his life was earning more money in 4 weeks than Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard
About Ted Talks
TED is a small nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with the annual TED Conference in Long Beach, California, and the TEDGlobal conference in Oxford UK, TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Program, the new TEDx community program, this year’s TEDIndia Conference and the annual TED Prize.
On TED.com, we make the best talks and performances from TED and partners available to the world, for free. More than 500 TEDTalks are now available, with more added each week. All of the talks feature closed captions in English, and many feature subtitles in various languages.
TEDIndia was held in November 2009 in Mysore, India, celebrating and exploring the beckoning future of South Asia.
Liked this post? You should subscribe to our email updates - why subscribe.