I’ve noticed recently that a growing number of cricketers are getting themselves connected online and find themselves on Facebook.
This got me wondering who is likely to be the most popular. Surely the god-like status of Sachin, Dhoni and Sharma in India would see them at the top of the tree. Seeing Dhoni get his haircut (a la Samson) with a crowd of 40,000 longing outside made the 6pm UK national news was another factor behind my thoughts.
However, after thorough investigation the most popular cricket captains in the world on facebook sprang a few surprises . . .
1. Ricky Ponting, Captain, Australia – 6,423 fans
2. Graeme Smith, Captain, South Africa – 3,838 fans
3. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Captain, India – 3,568 fans
4. Mohammad Ashraful, Captain, Bangladesh – 1,371 fans
5. Daniel Vettori, Captain, New Zealand – 1,355 fans
6. Chris Gayle, Captain, West Indies – 411 fans
7. Andrew Strauss, Captain, England – 90 fans
8. Younis Khan, Captain, Pakistan – not a Digital Native
9. Mahela Jayawardene, Captain, Sri Lanka – only a hate page . . .
Liked this post? You should subscribe to our email updates - why subscribe.